I was tagged by ruthieandersen
Rules: in a text post, list ten books that have stayed with you in some way. Don’t take but a few minutes, and don’t think too hard—they don’t have to be the “right” or “great” works, just ones that have touched you. [tagging rules redacted because anxiety]
- The Prydain Chronicles - Lloyd Alexander
- The Dispossessed - Ursula K Le Guin
- The Music of Dolphins - Karen Hesse
- Sweetgrass - Jan Hudson
- Raw Shark Texts - Stephen Hall
- The Things They Carried - Tim O’Brien
- The Earthsea Trilogy - Ursula K Le Guin
- Deerskin - Robin McKinley
- Watership Down - Richard Adams
- Peter Pan - J M Barrie
If anyone wants to fangirl with me about any of these I would love to.
If you have books to share, do this thing, and if not, don’t, haha. (Though I’d maybe like to see thebookofnights' list)
Nova Scotia, Canada, to chill with my in-laws for a couple weeks.
This is the first time I’ve traveled since the fibro got bad (eep) and it’s 21 hours of airplanes & airports one way — not to mention going to a new place, being around people all the time, being expected to get up and do things every day. So it’s pretty scary.
On the flip side, I haven’t seen any of that family in a long time, so it’ll be great for all of us to be together. Halifax is really pretty, & I did have a good time when I visited last.
Q:This is a tumblr hug. Pass it on to at least 10 of your favorite tumblr followers to show them how much you love them. Make sure you don’t break the chain. :) (ok - that's what the message I got said - I really don't care if you break the chain :P)
Wheeeeee <3 Thanks, darliiiing!
Q:How's your hand btw?
My hands seem to have settled on being grumpy; after this much time I am just assuming it’s my new normal. I have to be careful about the positions I type in, and I have to be careful about scrolling and clicking things, and there’s a limit to how much my hands can do.
It’s a little frustrating, I’ll be honest, because I want my hands back, but wanted my mobility and my appetite and my sleep back and I didn’t get those either, so I’m trying to move on and make do.
Q:You are so sweet
Phaaaww thanks. But I’m just speaking truth. You’re a cutie. <3
Five Randoms Facts
I was tagged by persephone622 to share five random facts about myself. My hands are only kind of painful so clickety time it is!
If you’d rather not see these things, you can block #tagged and/or #quiz thing
1. My partner & I recorded a CD a few years back. It’s nothing fancy, but it’s all original songs, and I’m so proud that we did it. Someday we’ll record another, and I’ll do something with all the extra copies I made.
2. I have something like 15 rough draft novels hiding away on my computer, awaiting my intentions. (But editing is scary)
3. I used to breed Siberian Dwarf Hamsters. I still get warm fuzzy feelings whenever I see them. (But teddy bears are evil)
4. My dad introduced me to science fiction. He got my brother & I hooked on Star Wars as kids, and every time I came home from college he would give me a stack of important books (like Ringworld and Kiln People) to read. I’ve never regretted following his book recommendations.
5. Once upon a time, I had a decent chunk of fans on DeviantArt (yeah, I know) — I got a DD once, and there was a group of people who regularly read my writing and knew my characters. I wish I could recreate that community, but copyright restrictions make sharing online problematic for anyone who wants to publish. Still not sure how to go about that.
Um, those are some things. I feel anxious about tagging people so I’m not going to, but if you see this & you’d like to share (or if you wish more people tagged you in these things) please do it & @-mention me so I can see. (Yes, you.)
Isn’t it weird how that happens? You read something and then it’s suddenly everywhere?
I just finished it last night, and I was well pleased with the ending; I hope you enjoy it too.
I got re-tagged in quizzy goodness. (If you are tired of these, you can block #tagged or #quiz thing) Questions from terriblesolitairedecisions.
1. oh i have no idea. what’s a work of art (anything. book movie painting W H A T EV E R) that you connect to on an ultra-personally level and it feels kind of like it IS you and you feel really weird recommending it to people?
There’s a song by Sarah Fimm called “Paradise” and it’s hard because I want people to understand why, but also I don’t want to explain it, and more than anything I don’t want people to misunderstand or look down on it. So I get shy.
2. do you believe in god?
Nope. I firmly believe that I could be wrong, but the evidence suggests to be that there is no deity overseeing our reality, and until the evidence suggests otherwise, I’m gonna live my life as if there’s not.
(However, I feel like I can semi-comfortably use the word ‘god’ to describe the natural processes and interconnected nature of the universe, in order to better connect with theists.)
3. what are you reading?
Neil Gaiman’s Anansi Boys
4. where were you born?
Portland, OR. The mountains are in my blood.
5. where have you lived most of your life?
I believe Oregon takes the cake, but only by a 2-year margin.
6. what other languages do you know (not just fluently. just any of.)
I am a clunky conversationalist in Spanish, and I can fumble around a tiny bit of Japanese. I used to be pretty smooth with Latin, but now I can only sort of read it. Small-time word recognition in languages similar to Latin & Spanish.
7. what webcomics if any do you follow on a regular basis?
Just XKCD; I lost track of everything else.
8. when’s the last time you saw your parents?
Christmas! But it feels like it’s been a looooot longer. :( I miss my parents.
Camp NaNo Excerpt 7/11/14
It’s no secret I’ve been having a lot of personal & health issues, but finally, for the first time since November, I’ve been able to write. Thanks for being patient with a lack of content. Here’s a bit of my writing from this week. I’m continuing the novel I began last July about Sifara’s untidy entrance into global politics.
If the name “Blade” seems suspect, that’s because it’s an approximate translation of “Dirk,” Finnechain’s favorite pseudonym.
“Two weeks ago, you showed me a video where a doctor controlled a machine to do surgery inside of a human. You said to me that when you were a child, no one could imagine having such advanced robotics. Think, then, if the little boy Daiko were to step into that room, and see the cameras moving and the robotic arms.”
Daiko could feel the wonder; it was a feeling he’d chased through years of research. “I think I would feel very much like I did when I first beheld the seamless walls of the Academy.”
“But you wouldn’t,” Tau persisted, getting bolder as he spoke, “because you weren’t a child then. The little boy Daiko had not yet learned, had he, this idea that everything can be explained simply and scientifically. When you saw the Academy, do you know what you asked? You asked me, ‘how was it done?’ You were dissatisfied when I could not answer you, because you did not like a mystery. In this same way, when Blade tells you that a farmer can make his crops good by praying, you ask, ‘How?’ A child would not ask that question. A child would clap his hands, and say, ‘I have seen a miracle!’”
For a moment Daiko could not speak. With such simple images, Tau had laid plain the point of his foolishness. “There is a saying in Tingyi,” he said at last, in the subdued tone of one who has been thoroughly and righteously chastised, “about a foolish man who was sent to work in the field. He came back angry at the end of the day, and said, ‘You are trying to trick me! I searched and searched for the field, but all I could find was a thousand stalks of wheat!’ So we say, ‘he sees not the field but the wheat.’ Thank you, Tau, and you as well, Blade, for showing me my own foolishness. I have been counting stalks of wheat while the field is below me all along.”
Tau grinned, his face all bright teeth and wrinkled eyes. “In this story, what do they say to the foolish man?”
“I’ve never heard. Perhaps they say, ‘Daiko, you idiot, has someone taken your eyes?’”
brittieslifeasiknowit tagged me to write 5 positive statements & tag people. Hands suck, so here’s the selfie version.
1. Maid Marian
I tag anyone who feels like they need a little positivity today~~
persephone622 thanks for sending me this love <3
My hands aren’t letting me type much of a response so I thought I’d take some pictures to let you know that you definitely brought me happiness today. ^_^